Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Wail song

I had my annual dose of culture last week (excluding my visit to the wonderful Pixar exhibition at the Science Museum), watching Kabuki at Sadler's Wells.

Ignoring the dreadful theatre itself (I only paid £12 for a ticket, so I wasn't expecting much), the show was - to say the least - odd. To be fair, this was mostly my own fault. I bought neither a programme nor an audio loop to help my understanding of the show, so - inspired by Homer Simpson - I made up my own plot. From what I could figure out, a white-faced Zoe Wannamaker had an affair with a white-faced Timothy Dalton (albeit both Japanese men), who then killed here. Intermingled with some form of dancing and out-of-tune wailing from an off-stage extra. I can't really pass comment on whether it was a good exhibition of the art, but I was mildly entertained and thoroughly confused & amused.

In other news: the World Cup. Note to everyone - England are not that bad. Nor are they that good. Rooney is not a panacea. TV pundits - dire. All of them (nearly). Linekar: present the effing shows, don't make shite puns. And let O'Neill, Strachan and Dowie talk at length; their contributions are intelligent, inciteful and balanced. And someone please kill Ian Wright-Wright-Wright.

No comments: