Sunday, July 09, 2006

As predicted

So, England went out in a blaze of apathy, blaming everything for their failure except themselves. Although I didn't think Rooney's bollock stamping was a sending off - if I was tackled as he was, I'd kick my foot in every direction to free it, and if I tackled someone like that, I'd fully expect them to swing their boot into every available part of my anatomy to escape it - we didn't look like we were going to win it anyway.

Anyway. I have been strangely deflated by this World Cup. Nobody has grabbed the chance to prove themselves a star. Following the England game last Saturday, ITV's commentators were wanking themselves into a frenzy about France and Zidane, in particular. All I saw was an immensely talented player given the time and space to play by a woeful Brazil side who didn't seem interested. Yes, France were good; but they were allowed to be. And that has been true for much of this tournament. Many, many average teams - a limited Portugal in the semis! - abysmal sportsmanship (Ronaldo, not for the England thing, Robben, Henry. Fucking cheats), too few exciting game (exlcuding the wonderful Italy v Germany semi, the Mexico v Argentina second-round match and the WWE Royal Rumble laugh-fest Holland v Portugal) and Blatter coming up with his usual game-destroying drivel have left me wanting more. Well, there's always 2010.

There have been high points. Italy, despite a dodgy penalty versus Australia, have often been magnificant to watch. Cannavaro, in particular, has been magnificent: far and away the player of the tournament. Argentina in their pomp. Some thumping goals. Those two Swedish girls kissing.

And on a more personal note, I'll be free to not watch football in the evenings; for a while, at least. And I'm hoping that I have recovered from surgery enough to actually go out and play (albeit in goal) on Wednesday. Which could hurt, but will be worth it.

Forza Italia

No comments: